Something about June is just romantic. The summer heat, the fresh watermelon, and endless mojitos and margaritas.
Also, those of you who know me know that I started an internship at a nursing home. Wanna know the insider scoop of working in a kitchen?
1. You WILL get burned. They keep some plates hot for hot food, and I mean HOT. The lids to the hot dishes are also extremely hot. Heads up.
2. You will want to eat dessert. A lot. I am the salad bar and dessert girl. And some of these desserts – it is all I can do not to eat them. Like the other day I was placing place-and-bake cookie dough bites and it would’ve been so easy to pop one in my mouth. But, I’d like to keep my job. So.. I didn’t.
3. The dishes aren’t just hot, everything is hot. I have a little pocket thermometer and that baby read 100°F the other day. IN MY POCKET. So it was at least 90-something in there.
4. The salad bar is a finicky thing. The girl that I train with said she has never dropped the containers down into the freezer part. Well, clearly she is better than me. Day 2? Dropped. Fail.
5. You will not eat lunch until a non-lunch hour. I am sorry, but 2pm is not lunch. But, it is here.
Hence, after I get off work at 5:30pm, I’m either starving from being on my feet for 8 hours or just too hot to eat. When it’s the latter, I make a smoothie.
This smoothie is 92% from Tone It Up. I added a few more pineapple chunks and used a creamsicle protein parfait from The Fit Station, my other job.
Adapted slightly from Tone It Up
1/4 c almond milk
1/4 c orange juice
1/2 c plain yogurt (or creamsicle protein parfait)
1 scoop protein powder (I used creamsicle from the parfait)
5 chunk frozen pineapple
1/2 frozen banana
3 ice cubes