I have been running the last week and a half straight. STRAIGHT.
Okay, not straight, but a lot. Between work, school, homework, and volunteering, it has been a whirlwind and all I can think about is swimsuits and margaritas [ahem, come onnnn summer].
And chocolate. Because when times get tough, chocolate understands. Chocolate doesn’t judge – chocolate understands. So, I made these healthy vegetable and fruit muffins and studded them with some chocolate chips. Because muffins (and life!) are better with chocolate.
I like to mash these bad boys into my oatmeal in the mornings. Is that weird? If you’ve added muffins to your oatmeal, then I applaud you. If you haven’t, make these and add to oatmeal. And eat as dessert. And snacks. And all day every day.
Healthy Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from How Sweet Eats
Make 7 muffins
1 c white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon
1 egg white
1/6 c brown sugar
1/4 c + 3 tbsp + 1 tsp (or 1/6c + 2 tbsp) milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1/2 zucchini, grated
1/2 banana, mashed
1/3 c dark chocolate chips
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar and egg white until completely mixed.
3. Whisk vanilla, milk, and Greek yogurt into bowl, then fold in zucchini and banana.
4. Slowly add flour mixture into wet ingredients, then fold in chocolate chips.
5. Fill a greased muffin tin and pour in mix until 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.