Yes. All of those words you read up there are true.
This is seriously delicious. My friends from college (saying that makes me feel old) came to visit this past weekend for a visit and a birthday celebration. All four of us have birthdays in September and October, so it was perfect timing. And obviously birthday celebrations call for cupcakes.
They had been eyeing the cupcakes all night and finally asked if we could eat them. Psh. We could’ve eaten them the moment they walked in because I know my lack of self control had been drooling over them all night, too.
The espresso in these cupcakes is slight but decipherable, and the Nutella buttercream is a melt-in-your-mouth-soft-and-fluffy topper to these decadent cupcakes. Did I mention they only make FOUR?? Aka: perfect for girls’ weekend.
PS: Hi, October. So glad you’re here. October = fall and scarves and cocoa AND today is one week until my BIRTHDAY.
1/4 c flour
4 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
Heaping 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
4 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 c packed light brown sugar
1/3 c plain Greek yogurt (or vanilla!)
1 tbsp water
4 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 tsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and espresso powder in a small bowl.
3. Whisk together canola oil, vanilla, and brown sugar.
4. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients, alternating wet and yogurt. Stir, then add the tbsp water the provide a bit more thinness to the batter.
5. Fill 4 cupcake liners or just grease a muff tin, and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean, at 350°F.
6. Allow to completely cool on a wire rack, then prepare frosting. To prepare frosting, simply mix butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a mixer until a frosting consistency is created (pretty thick), then add in Nutella and combine until integrated. Frost cupcakes!