One of my best friends has been around for 13 years.
We have been on smoothie dates, dog sat together, gone to the beach, and been fully invested in each other’s lives for over a decade.
One of our “things” was mac ‘n’ cheese + chicken nuggets. It was just our thing. Then, I became a vegetarian. So we have been without mac ‘n’ cheese + chicken nuggets for years. BUT THEN. Something magical happened.
The boyfriend found “chicken” [chick’n?] nuggets. Look, smell, and taste [to me] like chicken nuggets but they are made from texturized vegetable protein. Three words: for the win.
So obviously I wanted to make mac ‘n’ cheese to go with it. Oh, and lots of ketchup. Because I never get to eat ketchup, so it’s like a delicacy to me.
Oh, and the boyfriend approved of the mac ‘n’ cheese. So it’s a win-win. “Chicken” for me and mac ‘n’ cheese for him. Plus, who couldn’t like wagon wheel macaroni and cheese? Just look how cute it is.
Mac & Cheese for Two
1 1/2 c wagon wheel pasta
1 1/2 tbsp butter
2/3 c plain soymilk
Pinch of garlic pepper, dried oregano, and dried basil
1 c shredded cheddar cheese + extra for sprinkling on top
2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. Melt butter then add milk, stirring to combine. Add spices.
3. Take milk and butter mixture off heat, stir in cheese, then add flour and stir until thickens.
4. Drain pasta, then pour back into pot. Add cheese and stir to combine.
5. Pour cheesy pasta into a medium-sized baking dish, top with extra cheese and breadcrumbs.
6. Bake for 10 minutes on 400°F.