As you all know, I have been doing some serious reminiscing as I read through years of journals. I had countless sleepovers, to the extent of almost every single weekend in freshman and sophomore year in high school.
For all you 12-17 year old girls out there, I have some tips for how to throw the best sleepover. Now, things change when you get older. Sodas are replaced with wine, and talks about crushes may have changed to talks about marriage, kids, and the real world, but nevertheless, girls nights are essential for womankind.
How to throw a fabulous sleepover:
1. Have snacks. Lots of snacks, including, but not limited to: frosting, chips and salsa, ice cream, pretzels, and sodas.
2. Take lots of pictures. And videos, if you want. My friends used to create a dating game show where we would choose contestants that were fitting to date the designated candidate. It was always a little biased of who won, according to the current crush.
3. Watch a movie. Whether you watch it, it’s background noise, or you fall asleep to it, a movie is crucial for a girls’ sleepover.
4. Create a spa situation: nails, makeup, and back massages. Have lots of options for nail color and be sure to have lotion handy for back massages.
5. Prepare to not get much sleep. The best sleepovers are the ones that end around 4 or 5am, when everyone falls asleep from sheer exhaustion from laughter.
6. Pancakes in the morning. There is nothing better than whipping up a batch of pancakes for a lazy morning after a crazy night.
Keep the sleepovers alive, ladies. We are never to old for girl time and never too young to start remembering (and journaling!) all of these crazy memories.
Red Bean Salad with Feta, Corn & Cilantro
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 c quinoa
1/4 c corn
2 tbsp feta
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 avocado, chopped
1 mini bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
1/4 c cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp tangerine olive oil (or plain)
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Cook quinoa according to directions.
2. Combine all!