What is summer?
Summer is watermelon and basil. Lemonade and suntanning.
The pool and Coronas. Mosquito bites and cookouts.
I went to a cookout last night, and just hours before, my boyfriend calls and says “We need to bring dessert.” Scramblebrain.
So I start rummaging through the pantry and going through Pinterest and I find the recipe for these cookies. I really wanted to make fudgy avocado chocolate cookies but settled for these. The boyfriend doesn’t like avocado. We’ll work on him.
Sprinkles are appropriate for all ages and all occasions. But something about eating them under an umbrella while the sun is setting, surrounded by friends and a burning fire, makes them so much better.
Adapted slightly from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
1/2 c butter, room temperature
1/2 c + 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 egg white
1 1/4 c flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
Heaping 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 c rainbow sprinkles
1. Cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
2. Add in egg white and extracts and mix until well combined.
3. Mix together flour, cornstarch and baking soda in a separate bowl, then slowly add into sugar-butter mixture.
4. Fold in sprinkles into batter. Form cookie dough balls onto parchment paper on cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 375°F for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies are set and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cook slightly on a wire rack before serving.