Now I know what you’re thinking. Well, one of two things.
“Isn’t she tired of pasta after eating it every single day in Italy?” or “Why haven’t there been any Italian recipes yet?!”
Well, you are right for both. I should be tired of it but I’m just not. I freaking LOVE pasta. And to celebrate 6 fabulous months with that great man in my life, I whipped together a lasagna dish.
Men need hearty meals. I can’t provide meat but I can provide protein in other ways. Cue: cottage cheese.
I lovelovelove cottage cheese. I can eat it plain, on salads, on crackers, on fruit, in parfaits, you name it. And now, ladies and gentlemen, in lasagna.
I didn’t have any ricotta cheese (last minute dinner throw together), so I used cottage cheese. And it totally worked. Hello, healthy protein-rich veggie lasagna.
Healthy Cottage Cheese Vegetable Lasagna
6 lasagna noodles
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 portobello cap, chopped
1/4 c carrots, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
1/2 c spinach
1/3 c cottage cheese
1/3 c shredded mozzarella
3/4 c pasta sauce (I used chunky vegetable)
Extra cheese for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions.
3. Saute portobellos, carrots, and onion in olive oil over medium heat until slightly softened. Take off heat and stir in spinach until slightly wilted.
4. Combine cottage cheese and mozzarella in a medium bowl. Add vegetables.
5. Drain and rinse lasagna noodles.
6. Pat slightly try and lay on aluminum foil or towel.
7. Spoon vegetable and cheese mixture on each noodle and roll up noodles. Place into small pan (I used a bread pan) and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melty.