I love mac and cheese. Being a vegetarian limits my “comfort food” options. No hamburgers. No hotdogs. No steaks (is that a comfort food?). But it does not affect my ability to eat mac and cheese.
This pasta is perfectly seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg, with the kick of garlic and the crunch of onions. I just don’t understand why people use boxed mac and cheese anymore when making your own is so.dang.easy.
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese
3/4 c pasta
1/4 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/3 c unsweetened almond milk (or soymilk)
1/4 c canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp breadcrumbs
Pinch of nutmeg
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. In a small saucepan, combine onion, garlic, milk, butter, pumpkin and cinnamon and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until well combined.
3. Add cheese into saucepan and stir to combine. Add flour and combine.
4. Pour pumpkin sauce over pasta in a ramekin.
5. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and nutmeg on top of pasta, as well as some extra cheese if desired.
6. Bake at 400°F for 8 minutes.